At Tampa General, our Heart Failure Center of Excellence provides comprehensive services to improve heart failure care across all phases of a patient’s care journey – from prevention to end-stage treatment options. Our team of experts offer specialized and extensive care that includes genetic counseling and diagnosis along with cardiac transplantation. From disease management with medical therapy to remote monitoring options and interventional procedures, we focus on improving patient quality of life and outcomes.
Since 1988, our cardiologists have cared for individuals with end-stage heart disease, providing the most advanced therapies like performing first successful heart transplant in the state. Today, we have a successful ventricular assist device (VAD) program and our Transplant Institute is one of the top 10 in the country. All candidates for transplant are evaluated by the Heart Failure Center of Excellence to determine suitability for ventricular assist device (VAD) therapy and heart transplant.
Our Heart Failure Center of Excellence also provides:
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Advanced electrophysiology procedures for patients with irregular heartbeats
- Innovative surgical treatments for structural heart disease
- Advanced imaging
- Short-term mechanical support
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) used to treat patients with life-threatening heart and lung failure
- Heart transplantation
Our compassionate and coordinated care efforts, matched with advanced experience and capabilities are what give our patients their greatest advantage. We also have the capabilities to provide support across the entire patient experience and care continuum. To accomplish this goal, we partner with every specialist a patient may need for care, including:
- Bariatrics specialists who can help patients with weight loss necessary for certain procedures
- Geneticists dedicated to offering evaluation, treatment and counseling to patients and families with genetic heart diseases
- To help enhance our care, our experts conduct state-of-the-art studies for familial cardiomyopathies, which are genetic forms of heart disease
- If needed, pulmonary hypertension experts are ready to help patients improve symptoms and slow the progression of the disease
- Psychological counseling to help improve patients’ mental health
Nationally Recognized Care
Tampa General Hospital is known for providing world-class care and our collaboration with the University of South Florida has placed us at the forefront of innovation in the vascular treatment landscape.
Because of our commitment to excellent care, U.S. News & World Report has recognized Tampa General Hospital as “high performing" in Heart & Vascular care, meaning we are ranked in the top 10% in the nation for 2023-24. TGH also earned special recognition from U.S. News & World Report as one of the best hospitals for heart failure care for 2023-24. Additionally, Tampa General’s VAD program has received advanced disease-specific certification from The Joint Commission.