Tampa General Hospital’s Limb Preservation and Complex Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Program is the first and only of its kind in the Tampa Bay region offering a true multidisciplinary, integrated and evidence-based approach to the management and care of patients with complex PAD.
The program foundation rests on collaboration of care amongst physicians in the TGH Heart & Vascular Institute’s Vascular Center of Excellence. Working together with a compassionate, patient-first approach, we coordinate a full spectrum of care, from vascular surgery to specialists that include wound care, infectious disease, podiatry, plastic surgery, cardiology, endocrinology, interventional radiology and rehabilitation therapy.
What Conditions Does the Program Treat?
Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) with evidence of critical limb ischemia (non-healing wounds, nocturnal rest pain)
History of failed vascular stent or bypass
Diabetic foot infections or neuropathic ulcers
Non-healing lower extremity wounds or ulcerations
Treatments for vascular disease can range from simple, goal-oriented medical therapy, traditional open vascular bypass, and modern, less-invasive endovascular therapies.
Our vascular surgeons are leaders in the treatment of complex PAD and they’re actively involved in clinical research, with multiple peer-reviewed publications, textbook chapters and national presentations on the topic.
Patient-First Approach to Care
Living with PAD can be challenging and our mission is to make our patients’ care journey as efficient, cost-effective and of the highest quality possible. To accomplish this, we treat each patient with compassion, tailor treatment plans to meet their unique needs, constantly communicate with them and provide follow-up consults as timely as possible.
What to Expect
Our program ensures that patients receive a concierge level of attention and communication at all phases of care. Coordination of care involves any and all medical specialties required for limb preservation and each patient receives a treatment plan tailored to their unique needs.
Here's what you can expect when you take the first steps to becoming a patient with our program:
- Your appointment request form or referral is received by our team.
- Our team will contact you to guide you through the process, ensuring a seamless experience.
- The patient care journey starts in our multidisciplinary Limb Preservation-PAD clinic. This appointment will include:
- Evaluation by one of our expert providers in Vascular Surgery, Wound Care and/or Podiatry
- Open discussion and review of all prior imaging and procedures
- Coordination of care to any required specialist or further diagnostic imaging
- If a surgical intervention is recommended, our program coordinator and staff will expedite pre-procedure workup and clearances to allow scheduling of the procedure at first-available operative day.
- After procedure is completed, our team will send the referring physician a detailed follow-up of the care their patient received.
- A follow-up appointment is scheduled for the patient at our Limb Preservation-PAD Clinic.
- Future office visits ensure patients will be followed by our specialized, multidisciplinary team to guarantee they are receiving exceptional care for their personalized needs.