The mission of our Clinical Pastoral Education program is to equip students with the ability to provide spiritual care to any patient, family member, and team member they encounter in a way that is meaningful to the one receiving care. We do that by helping students grow in:
spiritual resources and practices for finding purpose, overcoming alienation, and strengthening supportive relationships
confidence that one can be of value to people in crisis
CPE Programs led by CPE Faculty
Five one-year residency positions in CPE are filled each year. A residency consists of three units of CPE while serving as a chaplain in the hospital, with a full curriculum under the supervision of the faculty of CPE Certified Educators. The residency positions pay a stipend and include excellent benefits. The residency position begins at the end of August each year. One unit of CPE required prior to applying for a residency.
Internship: Extended Unit (Part-Time)
The CPE program offers two extended units each year, in the fall and spring. Designed for those not able to be in a full-time program due to work or other additional obligations.
- Fall Extended Unit: Eight class hours per week; 10 clinical hours each week (with 10 additional clinical hours per month)
- Spring Extended Unit: Eight class hours each week; two 10-hour clinical shifts each week
Internship: Summer Unit (Part-Time)
An 11-week intensive CPE program is offered each summer. Summer programs are 40-45 hours/week and typically run from June to mid-August. It includes 8 hours a week of class and 32 hours a week in ministry to patients, families and staff.
Certified Educator Program: Positions open at various times.
Current CPE Opportunities
- Fall Extended Program: August 22, 2022 - January 24, 2023; Eight class hours on Tuesdays; 10 clinical hours each week (with 10 additional clinical hours per month). Meal card provided.
- Spring Extended Program: February 6, 2023 - May 30, 2023; Eight class hours each week; two 10-hour clinical shifts each week. Meal card provided.
- Summer Intensive Program: June 1, 2022 - August 19, 2022; 10 seminar hours and 30 clinical hours each week, including day, evening, and/or weekend shifts as assigned. Meal card provided.
- Chaplain Residency Program: August 22, 2022 - August 18, 2022; 40-45 hours per week, including day shifts, evening shifts, weekend shifts and one overnight shift per month. Schedule set in advance in rotation with all chaplain residents. Stipend of $33,320, medical insurance at team member rates, free parking, and meal card provided.
- Certified Educator CPE: Positions open at various times. Contact center.
Admission Requirements and Fees
- A completed ACPE application
- An admissions interview with CPE faculty
- Internship: Minimum of bachelor’s level degree required with preference given to applicants who are enrolled or have completed master’s level theological education
- Residency: Master’s level theological degree (from CHEA accredited school) and one completed unit of CPE in an ACPE accredited center
- Certified Educator: must meet ACPE standards
- $35 non-refundable application fee - checks payable to Tampa General Hospital (applied to tuition if accepted into the CPE program)
- Upon acceptance, a $200 non-refundable acceptance fee is due. This fee will be applied to tuition.
- Tuition: $400 for initial unit at Tampa General, additional units are $100.
- TGH’s CPE program operates on a rolling admissions process meaning applications are reviewed as they are received. Decisions for applicant are typically made within a few weeks of submission. Applying early is highly encouraged as our CPE program is a competitive program
All CPE programs at TGH meet the standards of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE). ACPE is recognized as an accrediting agency in the field of clinical pastoral education by the U.S. Secretary of Education, through the U.S. Department of Education.
Tampa General Hospital is accredited for Level I, II, and Certified Educator Program by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), Inc.
55 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd
Atlanta, GA 30030
For further information about any CPE programs at TGH please submit an inquiry.
The Center for Spiritual Health and Education.
Tampa General Hospital
P.O. Box 1289 Tampa, FL 33601
Phone: (813) 844-7063
Fax: (813) 844-1085
Links for Additional CPE and Chaplaincy Information
- Association for Clinical Pastoral Education www.acpe.edu
- Association of Professional Chaplains https://www.professionalchaplains.org/
- National Association of Catholic Chaplains www.nacc.org
- Association of Jewish Chaplains www.najc.or
- Association of Muslim Chaplains www.associationofmuslimchaplains.org