The neuro-oncology program at Tampa General Hospital provides comprehensive, multi-specialty treatment for tumors of the brain, spine, and peripheral nervous system. This program is the collaborative effort of numerous surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, interventional radiologists, nurse practitioners, neuro-diagnostic technicians, and supportive care professionals.
Each patient’s case is reviewed by multiple specialists before an individualized treatment plan is developed, and his or her progress is monitored on a regular basis to ensure adjustments are made as necessary. We provide treatment for a number of different tumors, including astrocytomas, gliomas, schwannomas, meningiomas and metastatic/recurrent tumors. No matter their diagnosis, patients can access a full spectrum of care through our neuro-oncology program.
The therapies and scientific innovations we offer include:
- Laser ablation (Tampa General is the first provider to make this treatment available in the Tampa Bay area)
- Image-guided surgeries
- Skull base surgeries: open approach, minimally invasive keyhole approach, endoscopic approach
- Radiation therapy
- OPTUNE treatment for glioblastoma
- ChemoID personalized chemotherapy treatment
- Caris personalized care with molecular profiling
- Chemotherapy infusions
- Targeted therapy
- Supportive care options (such as anti-seizure medications) for neurological cancer symptom control
TGH Among Top 10% in U.S. for Cancer Care and Neurology & Neurosurgery
Our extensive experience treating complex tumors of the brain and spine has led us to be named in Top 10% of hospitals in the nation for both Cancer Care and Neurology & Neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report 2021-22.
Many of our team members have also received national recognition for advancements they have made in brain cancer care, and our team of researchers are working to improve the spectrum of treatments available to patients with brain and nervous system cancers and other neurological conditions.