World-Class Cancer Treatment Provided at Tampa General Hospital
Tampa General Hospital’s Cancer Institute provides extensive oncology services designed to diagnose, evaluate and treat all forms of cancer.
TGH is dedicated to providing cancer patients with the highest level of care, and we are one of the Top 8 Hospitals in Florida and among the Top 10% for Cancer care in the U.S. according to U.S. News & World Report's 2020-2021 rankings.
Our Cancer Treatment Programs
Because cancer isn’t one disease but many, each with its own unique characteristics and growth patterns, every type must be treated individually. To that end, TGH has established multiple specialized cancer programs, each with a focus on malignancies that affect certain areas of the body and their metastases.
The Tampa General Hospital Cancer Institute's programs include:
- Hematology/oncology, which treats cancers of the blood and blood-forming organs
- Neuro-oncology, which provides care for cancers of the brain, spine and peripheral nervous system
- Pulmonary and lung oncology, which treats cancers of the lung, pulmonary system and thoracic region of the body
- Breast oncology, which treats cancers of the breast
- Liver and hepatobiliary oncology, which treats cancers of the liver, bile ducts and biliary tract
- Otolaryngology oncology, which provides treatment for cancers of the ears, nose and throat (ENT)
- Colorectal oncology, which provides care for cancers of the colon and rectum
- Genitourinary oncology, which focuses on treating cancers that develop in the male reproductive system and genitourinary tract
- Gynecological oncology, which offers intervention for cancers of the cervix, endometrium, ovaries and other portions of the female reproductive system
Why TGH for Cancer Care?
No matter the location or cause of their cancer, all patients at TGH benefit from our robust and comprehensive cancer care thanks to our:
State-of-the-Art Facilities & Imaging Capabilities
The world of cancer treatment changes at a lightning-fast pace, with technological advances driving many radiation and surgical therapies. As a result, our cancer doctors and specialists have the resources and the facilities to provide incredibly comprehensive care via groundbreaking therapies and state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging tools. This not only allows our team to accurately diagnose and map malignancies but also gives us the opportunity to treat cancers more precisely than ever before.
Tampa General Hospital and Cancer Center of South Florida
Tampa General Hospital and Cancer Center of South Florida are now working together to provide personalized patient care with state-of-the-art medical treatments. In the newly formed Tampa General Hospital Cancer Institute, the experienced physicians and nurses from CCSF work with a team of surgical oncologists and specialists to provide South Florida patients the most comprehensive treatment options in a seamless, coordinated manner with access to cutting-edge clinical trials and therapies.
A Multidisciplinary Approach
One specialist alone cannot effectively fight someone’s cancer. At TGH, a team of highly skilled physicians, oncologists, radiologists, surgeons, nurses, pathologists and other professionals work tirelessly together to provide the best outcomes for our patients. Armed with detailed information, we design treatment plans to suit each patient’s specific needs. Potential approaches range from chemotherapy and outpatient or inpatient radiation therapy options (such as TomoTherapy) to immunotherapy and surgical intervention.
Not all cancer needs to be treated with surgery, and in fact, TGH’s cancer surgeons are playing instrumental roles in promoting clinical trials where patients are being cured of cancer without surgery. But when surgical intervention is required, our world-renowned experts bring a wealth of experience and skill to the table, ensuring the best results and improved quality of life for our patients.
Cancer care isn’t just about treating a patient—it’s about treating the person and the loved ones behind the condition. That’s why cancer treatment at TGH also involves social, psychological, nutritional and financial counseling to patients.