Tampa General Hospital’s roots on Davis Islands date back to 1927. It was known as Tampa Municipal Hospital when it opened with 186 beds, alongside the Gordon Keller School of Nursing. A lot has taken place since those days. Both the hospital and the community it serves have grown dramatically.
Today, TGH is a 1,011-bed academic medical center that has achieved national recognition for its medical services. The Gordon Keller School of Nursing is gone, but nursing students from throughout Tampa Bay train at TGH, along with more than 300 medical residents from the USF Morsani College of Medicine.
What follows is a record of some of the more significant events in the history of Tampa General. It reflects the maturation of a community and the hospital that bears its name.