- Thorough evaluations performed by experienced physical therapists who are RESNA-certified Assistive Technology Practitioners and Seating and Mobility Specialists (ATP/SMS)
- Collaborative approach for evaluation and equipment selection with client, family, therapist, and local vendor
- Serving clients with a variety of diagnoses including spinal cord injury, brain injury, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis and other neurological injuries or illnesses, as well as orthopedic conditions.
Before Your Visit to the Wheelchair Seating and Mobility Clinic
Physician’s Face-to-Face visit
The face-to-face visit must be an in-person visit to specifically assess your mobility limitations and needs within your home
The assessment must include, but not limited to, height and weight, a musculoskeletal exam (including arm and leg strength and range of motion), a cardiopulmonary exam, and a neurological exam (including balance, coordination, and ability to ambulate)
The assessment must state why less costly alternatives such as a cane, walker, or less costly wheelchair will not meet your in-home mobility needs and how the requested device will help you to complete activities of daily living (ADLs) within your home.
Scheduling and Vendor Selection
- You will need a prescription from your physician for a physical therapy wheelchair evaluation which includes a diagnosis.
- The prescription and your insurance information can be sent to the scheduling department via fax (813) 844-1948 or e-mail OPRS@tgh.org.
- Call (813) 844-7964 option 4 to schedule an appointment
- All wheelchair evaluations require a third-party vendor to attend the appointment.
- Once you have selected a vendor, notify scheduling by calling (813) 844-7964 or by e-mail at OPRS@tgh.org.
During Your Visit to the Wheelchair Seating and Mobility Clinic
- In-depth interview to determine your medical history, home environment, functional abilities and past use of mobility equipment
- Assessment of strength, range of motion, flexibility, and posture
- Measurements will be taken to determine the appropriate size of seating system
We work closely with you and the vendor as well as your physician, family members/caregivers and other clinicians as warranted to recommend the best possible seating system and mobility devices. We discuss and consider a variety of products and may be able to view or trial some products during the evaluation. For those individuals with progressive medical conditions, we seek a system that offers flexibility to meet changing needs. We ensure optimal pressure distribution along the individual's seated body surface to maintain skin integrity and promote comfort and safety. We may utilize a pressure mapping system if indicated to aid in assessment and educate on pressure relief strategies.
After Your Visit to the Wheelchair Seating and Mobility Clinic
Final Fitting and Training
We recommend that you return to Tampa General Wheelchair Seating and Mobility Clinic for a final fitting after delivery of your new equipment. During the final fitting visit, you will work with the seating therapist to ensure your equipment is properly adjusted, set up and programmed to allow it to work best for you. The therapist will also ensure that you and/or your caregivers understand how to use all parts of the equipment and can operate it safely. Please contact our scheduling department by calling (813) 844-7964 or by e-mail at OPRS@tgh.org to schedule your final fitting appointment upon delivery of your new equipment.