The hospital-based rehabilitation team at Tampa General Hospital includes highly qualified professional and support staff that provide treatment for patients overcoming a variety of conditions within the acute care hospital setting. The therapists in the hospital work closely with physicians, residents, nurses, respiratory care, dieticians, case managers, social workers and other health care professionals to expedite the patient’s recovery process.
Scope of Services
The focus of hospital-based rehabilitation services is working with patients experiencing a decrease in function as a result of illness, injury or surgical procedure. A physician referral is required to initiate therapy services. Once the referral is received an evaluation is completed and a treatment plan established. Functional goals are set for attainment by discharge from the hospital. The therapist assists in discharge planning by making recommendations for the next level of care after discharge from the acute care hospital. Discharge recommendations made by therapists may include acute or sub acute rehab, home health therapy, outpatient therapy, or simply a home exercise program. Hospital-based rehabilitation services are provided in all nursing units including the intensive care units. Most evaluations and treatments are provided at the bedside. Family, friends and/or caregivers are encouraged to participate in the treatments and to be involved any training needed to facilitate a safe discharge to the next level of care.
The hospital based rehab team follows a patient centered model. Each specialty area has a specific purpose that focuses on addressing the treatment plan established. Specialties include:
- Activities of daily living (ADLs) such as self feeding, hygiene, dressing including functional mobility and transfers required for ADLs
- Strength and range of motion for functional use of upper extremities
- Endurance/ strength for functional task
- Fine motor skills
- Visual motor/ visual perceptual skills
- Education related to ADLs, energy conservation and home safety
- Bed mobility
- Ambulation (utilizing walker, crutches, or other assistive devices)
- Balance and coordination
- Lower extremity strengthening and range of motion
- Gross motor skills
- Wound care
Speech Language Pathology (Speech Therapy):
- Swallowing assessment and treatment, including the availability of x-ray swallow studies (MBS)and instrumental swallow studies at bedside (FEES)
- Functional communication including alternative communication
- Speech, language and cognitive evaluations and treatment
- Swallowing evaluations and speaking valves for patients with a tracheostomy
- Recreation activities to improve physical, mental and emotional well being and help reduce depression, stress and anxiety in the hospital setting.
- Assistance with developing new or adapting previous recreation activities as needed following injury
Orthopedic technicians are a valuable part of the patient care team. They provide services to all patients at TGH as well as the orthopedic clinics at USF South Health South Tampa Center for Advanced Healthcare, located on the TGH campus, and the TGH specialty center, located at Healthpark. The ortho techs complete orders from the physicians for casting, splinting and equipment needed to help aid patient recovery. Orthotic and prosthetic services are available for custom bracing and other prosthetic services.