Comprehensive Neurology Services at Tampa General Hospital
Neurology is a broad discipline that addresses all conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves and all other portions of the nervous system. Many disorders and diseases can impact these parts of the body, and because their effects can be wide-ranging, it often takes a highly specialized team to diagnose and treat them.
We offer a full spectrum of care for neurological conditions and provide comprehensive treatment for children and adults affected by a neurological disorder or disease. Our 32-bed neurological care unit is one of the largest on the west coast of Florida. Our team includes physicians who specialize in treating all neurological conditions and an experienced support staff of trained and certified nurses, technicians and other medical personnel. Our neurologists, neurosurgeons, pediatric surgeons and interventional radiologists are also on call around the clock to provide fast, accurate care for patients who are experiencing emergency conditions such as a stroke.
These extensive resources have earned us national recognition. Tampa General Hospital is ranked among the Top 10% in the nation for Neurology and Neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Newsweek named Tampa General to its annual list of World's Best Hospitals in 2021.
World-Class Neurological Care
We diagnose and treat an array of conditions, including:
- Spine disorders – Degenerative spine disease, scoliosis and many disorders are addressed with expert surgical skill and often with a minimally invasive approach that results in less pain, less anesthesia and a faster recovery for our patients.
- Movement disorders – Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease and tremors may be treated with deep-brain stimulation that can block the signals that cause unwanted shaking.
- Strokes – We treat strokes of all forms using emergency interventions and can also provide preventive care to help patients avoid additional strokes.
- Neuro-oncological issues – Addressing tumors of the brain and spine are another of our specialties, and our oncologists can accurately diagnose and treat cancers with great precision through focused radiation therapy, robotic surgery and other measures.
- Seizure disorders – We can monitor patients with seizure disorders such as epilepsy using a 24/7 video EEG and provide treatments such as surgery, minimally invasive laser ablation surgery or the implantation of a vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) device.
- Sleep disorders – We even offer treatment for a range of sleep disorders, including snoring, insomnia, restless limb syndrome and sleep apnea, which we can treat using a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine or an implantable device.
If you or someone you know is experiencing emergency symptoms, including the signs of a stroke or traumatic brain injury, you should call 911 for help. For other, less urgent conditions, you can use our Physician Finder to locate a neurologist at TGH.