Tampa General Hospital Named to Beckers Hospital Review Great Hospitals in America ListPublished: Jun 30, 2023
Tampa General is recognized as a national leader and the only hospital in the Tampa Bay region recognized for clinical excellence and leadership.
Tampa, FL (June 30, 2023) – Tampa General Hospital (TGH) has been named one of the greatest hospitals in the U.S., according to the 2023 Becker’s Hospital Review “Great Hospitals in America” list.
Tampa General is one of 86 hospitals nationwide, one of only two hospitals in Florida and the only hospital in the Tampa Bay region to receive recognition on Becker’s list.
“As one of the nation’s leading academic health systems, we are keenly focused on leveraging brilliant minds and harnessing resources to ignite and spur discovery, develop next-generation therapeutics and life-saving treatments, improve patient outcomes, expand world-class care and advance 21st-century medical education,” said John Couris, president and CEO of Tampa General. “This recognition is a testament to the meaningful progress we have made to drive innovation in care delivery, leading-edge research, and academic training.”
According to Becker’s, Tampa General’s inclusion on the list underscores the academic health system’s commitment to clinical excellence, patient safety, innovation efforts, research, education, and patient satisfaction. Hospitals on the list are leaders who contribute to breakthroughs and discoveries that impact the future of medicine, benefitting both the communities they serve and the health care field as a whole.
Examples of Tampa General’s commitment to clinical excellence, innovation, patient safety, research, education and patient satisfaction include:
- Clinical Excellence: As a not-for-profit academic health system and one of the largest hospitals in the U.S., Tampa General is consistently recognized for world-class care and is ranked the #1 hospital in Tampa Bay by U.S. News & World Report for 2022-23 and is nationally ranked among the top 50 hospitals in the nation in seven specialties. Additionally, Tampa General was ranked as “high performing,” or among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation, in five more specialties along with 11 procedures and conditions.
- Innovation: Tampa General leadership is consistently seeking out advances through technology and new approaches which can be seen in:
- AI Technology in Physician Offices: Planned utilization of AI technology to improve point-of-care interactions by partnering with Navina to align patient information – lab results, consult notes, imaging and more – onto one easily accessible app interface. Primary care providers can assess diagnoses and opportunities to improve care and can more easilyget up to speed on a patients’ full history which enhances efficiency and patient care.
- AI Technology in a Hospital Setting: Tampa General developed an early warning system that utilizes AI to improve interventions for the life-threatening complication of a sepsis infection. The academic medical center’s CareComm Command Center uses a predictive analytics algorithm, which alerts a rapid-response clinical care team to potential sepsis concerns. As a result of this effort, the early death rate was nearly cut in half from 6.1 percent to 3.1 percent. This accounts for more than 50 lives saved.
- Hospital at Home: TGH at Home partnered with Shields Health Innovations to leverage in-person patient care, innovative patient monitoring tools and a telehealth platform to provide around-the-clock care for patients at home. Patients with congestive heart failure, urinary tract infection, cellulitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or diabetes are eligible for treatment at home. Patients must be thoroughly evaluated by clinicians at TGH to verify candidacy for the program.
- Patient Safety: Earlier this year, Tampa General received two coveted qualifications in its journey to becoming fully accredited as a High Reliability organization, which recognizes adherence to international safety and risk management best practice standards.
- Research and Education: In affiliation with USF Health Morsani College of Medicine, the next generation of physicians and medical trailblazers are furthering their education at Tampa General, with more than 700 residents assigned for training and research roles in specialty areas. In 2022, Tampa General and USF Health opened the TGH|USF Health Precision Medicine Biorepository to drive leading-edge scientific collaboration and research. The biorepository is similar to a high-tech library where researchers, physicians and scientists can access donated samples and correlating data with patient permission for scientific study.
- Patient Satisfaction: Enhancing patient satisfaction means augmenting the academic health system’s delivery of world-class care and scientific advances while making essential health care services more convenient and accessible for patients. To accomplish this, Tampa General is implementing a $550 million, five-year master facility plan. Since being announced in September 2021, the largest expansion in the hospital’s history, has opened or will begin construction soon on:
- The freestanding TGH Kennedy Emergency Center in Tampa’s Medical and Research District opening July 6.
- The TGH Behavioral Health Hospital is scheduled to begin construction this summer and, when complete, will offer a full range of inpatient and outpatient services led by psychiatrists from USF Morsani College of Medicine.
- A TGH Cancer Institute hub in the suburb of Brandon, FL, which opened Phase 1 in fall 2022 and will offer diagnostic testing, treatment and support services for cancer patients when completed later this summer.
- The TGH Rehabilitation Hospital opened in May 2022 and provides comprehensive care for patients recovering from debilitating injuries, illnesses, surgeries and chronic medical conditions.
Inclusion on the Becker’s “Great Hospitals in America” list is the latest among several high-profile recognitions for Tampa General Hospital, including:
- Newsweek “Best Cancer Hospitals 2023” — June 2023
- Newsweek “World’s Best Hospitals 2023” — March 2023
- Newsweek “Best Maternity Hospitals 2023” – May 2023
- Fortune/Merative 100 Top Hospitals — July 2022
To view the Becker’s “Great Hospitals in America” list, click here.