Tampa General Hospital (TGH) offers gastroenterology services that provide the highest level of care for a full range of conditions affecting the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, or the digestive system.
The number of GI conditions is astonishing and includes everything from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) to liver disease and colorectal cancer. So when it comes to finding treatment for digestive system conditions, it makes sense to seek out the best gastroenterologists and care. That's what you'll get at the TGH Digestive Diseases Institute. We’re committed to not just practicing medicine, but defining it, ensuring our patients receive world-class care for their GI conditions, regardless of type or complexity.
Why Choose Tampa General Hospital for Digestive Disease Care?
The TGH Digestive Diseases Institute is a world-class center of excellence for diagnosis, treatment and research covering a full range of conditions that impact the gastrointestinal tract. Among the many aspects of the Digestive Diseases Institute that we are most proud of is our multidisciplinary approach to care. We tailor every treatment plan to ensure the best medical and surgical options are considered to achieve ideal outcomes. Patients choose TGH for our:
- Focus on providing a full range of patient services
- High ratio of nurses to patients
- High patient volume
- Better-than-expected patient survival rates
We're proud to reach milestones in academic medicine that exhibit our commitment to providing world-class care:
- Perform more than 500 bariatric procedures each year with more than 20% being revisional surgeries
- Largest volume of eosinophilic esophagitis cases in Florida
- One of the lowest surgical complication rates in the nation for Colorectal and GI cancer
- The first and only dedicated gastroparesis clinic in Florida
- National leaders in clinical trials for colorectal cancer
- Leaders in GI surgical research, producing 43 abstracts accepted at three different national meetings in 2022
- One of a few endowed swallowing centers in the United States
- One of a few of academic medical centers with a dedicated Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center
- One of few interventional endoscopy fellowship programs in the U.S.
- Largest and busiest academic robotic program in Florida
- National and international referral center for the most complex swallowing disorders
- Among a small group of U.S. academic centers to perform the EDGE procedure on gastric bypass patients
- Perform more transanal minimally invasive surgeries (TAMIS) for rectal cancer than any other center in the region
- Use of advanced technologies, such as endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP)
World-Class Rankings & Certifications
TGH is recognized as one of the Top 50 Hospitals in the Nation for Gastroenterology & GI Surgery by U.S. News & World Report 2022-23. We were also recognized by Newsweek in their World's Best Hospitals 2022 list and are among 226 hospitals in the U.S.—but the only hospital in Tampa Bay—to earn the recognition.
In addition, our benign esophageal disorders and pancreatic/hepatic/biliary cancer programs have received disease-specific certification from The Joint Commission. These rankings and certifications exhibit our commitment to providing world-class care.
Our Multidisciplinary Team & Top Gastroenterologists in Tampa
Patients at TGH receive comprehensive evaluation and care from a multidisciplinary team of highly skilled specialists located at a single location. Our team includes oncologic, colorectal and gastrointestinal surgeons, gastroenterologists, radiologists, medical oncologists, pharmacotherapists and our major organ transplant team.
Patients also receive specialized support from registered dietitians, outcomes managers, social workers, clinical nurse specialists, biofeedback therapists and enterostomal therapy nurses.
Innovative Digestive System Treatment
From common gastroenterology problems to complex and rare disorders, the gastroenterology experts at TGH’s Endoscopy Center address and treat a variety of digestive symptoms and conditions. We’re frequently involved in clinical research and trials, which keeps us abreast of the most current gastroenterology diagnostic, surgical, and non-surgical treatment options available today. We then tailor treatment plans to each patient’s specific needs with the goal of improving their function and quality of life.