da Vinci SP SystemThe da Vinci® SP (single port) system is a fourth-generation da Vinci robotic surgical system used in minimally invasive surgeries. Controlled by a highly skilled surgeon, the da Vinci SP robotic surgical system expands capabilities and uses a single port (incision) to allow for more versatility and control during surgery. This helps to spare muscle tissue, reduce blood loss and limit scarring from the procedure in order to lead to a faster patient recovery.
What Surgeries Can the da Vinci SP System Help With?
Because the da Vinci SP robotic system utilizes a single port of entry for surgery, it is primarily used in minimally invasive procedures. These include:
- Urological procedures, including surgeries of the prostate and kidneys
- Lateral oropharyngectomy procedures (radical tonsillectomy)
- Tongue base resections
Procedure Details Using This System
The da Vinci SP surgical system provides surgeons with a magnified view of the surgical area as well as a greater range of motion thanks to the advanced robotics involved. The surgeon’s hand motions are translated in real time and guided through a console, making it possible for operations to occur through a single 1-inch wide incision.
The da Vinci SP system allows surgeons to:
- Reach up to 24 centimeters deep
- Triangulate instruments at the distal tip
- Control three fully-wristed, elbowed surgical instruments
- Rotate the boom more than 360° around the remote center
- Reach a greater anatomical area through a single incision
- Operate with more precision and control than traditional surgery
What to Expect
Like any minimally invasive procedure, single port robotic surgeries that utilize the da Vinci SP system come with possible risks that may include:
- Soreness, pain and possible swelling around the incision site
- Temporary nerve injury associated with positioning
- Potentially longer operative time or the need for additional incision sites
How Effective is Surgery With the da Vinci SP System?
The da Vinci SP system is highly acclaimed by medical professionals for its ability to increase a surgeon’s capabilities and reduce many of the risks associated with surgery. It can be highly effective for minimally invasive procedures, including surgical treatments for conditions like prostate cancer. While it is currently only approved for a few select surgeries, the innovative engineering of this system is likely to continue to open doors for different types of surgery in the future.
Tampa General Hospital is proud to offer robotic-assisted surgery using the da Vinci SP system and other da Vinci surgical systems. Using these minimally invasive techniques and technological advancements, our healthcare professionals are able to treat a vast array of conditions with great precision and superior ergonomics.