Chronic Pain and Headache Management
The Tampa General Pain Management and Headache Program was established in 1985. Our mission is to provide efficient, coordinated, comprehensive interdisciplinary treatment for the effective management of all forms of chronic pain and headache with the ultimate goal of returning participants to a more independent, active, productive and healthy lifestyle.
Education and training is focused on providing participants with the strategies necessary to promote function while managing chronic pain or headache. Services as appropriate, may address problems with coping, activities at home or work, your role at home and in the community, your medical status, cultural needs, and discharge needs.
- Maximize physical function and activity
- Minimize medications to include only those necessary to enhance or maintain function
- Improve self-management of pain/headache and related problems and reliance upon the healthcare system
- Improve emotional function
- Integrate individual, family and community support systems
- Examine opportunity for vocational development
- Increase individual’s awareness of his/her ability to cost-effectively manage his/her healthcare needs
Emphasis is placed on self-management of chronic pain and headache, and personal responsibility for long-term success. The pain team will perform a comprehensive evaluation and develop a personalized treatment plan to meet the goals established with the patient’s input.
Our interdisciplinary team is designed to treat individuals with:
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Extremity pain
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Abdominal pain
The following specialized services may be offered:
- Medical management includes evaluation and treatment of headaches and chronic pain. Interventions may include medication management, IV therapies, trigger point injections, Botox injections, and EMG’s.
- Physical therapy may include postural and body mechanics education, cardiovascular training, trigger point self-massage, yoga, craniosacral therapy, soft tissue release and modalities (traction, ultrasound and electrical stimulation).
- Biofeedback utilizes modern day computerized programs to teach relaxation and non-pharmacological pain management interventions for all ages.
- Occupational therapy focuses on teaching patients adaptive techniques, pacing strategies and ergonomics to facilitate their highest level of performance in all activities of daily living, their chosen profession and return to work capabilities.
- Psychology helps people and their families cope with psychosocial issues related to their chronic pain utilizing a cognitive-behavioral approach. The goal is to reduce depression and anxiety, improve relationships with family and friends and improve quality of life.
- Nursing works in conjunction with the physician to provide patient education, IV infusion therapy and case management.
For referrals to specific therapies, please call (813) 844-7719. Physician referrals are required.
Resources for Patients
- American Academy of Pain Management
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
- American Pain Foundation
- American Council for Headache Education
- American Headache Society
- The International Headache Society
- World Headache Alliance
- Organization for the Understanding of Cluster Headache
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- American Pain Society
- American Academy of Orofacial Pain
- Migraine Research Foundation
- Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy
- Partners Against Pain