VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution for Knee Replacement
A knee replacement is a procedure performed to repair and resurface the damaged parts of an arthritic knee. Advanced technology, like robotic-assisted devices, can help a surgeon perform a precise knee replacement surgery personalized for a patient’s specific anatomy. The VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution assists the surgeon in optimizing surgical outcomes by using real-time intra-operative data that’s unique to the patient to enhance the accuracy and precision of the knee replacement. Tampa General Hospital is one of the few hospitals in Florida to use this cutting-edge, innovative technology.
Conditions Treated with Robotic-Assisted Technology
Robotic-assisted knee replacements are a possible solution for patients who have:
- Complex knee joint disease
- Deformities in the femur or tibia
- Complex knee degeneration
- Damaged hardware from previous orthopaedic surgeries
How Does the VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution Work?
The VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution uses a variety of advanced technologies to ensure the surgeon has the information and tools they need to perform a highly accurate and precise knee replacement. This technology is designed to:
- Perform state-of-the-art planning of ideal knee stability, knee implant sizing, and exact artificial knee positioning before any bone cuts or preparation using virtual imaging.
- Help the surgeon accurately prepare the damaged bone for the knee implants (the robotic-assisted device does not move or operate on its own)
- Use an infrared camera and optical trackers to help the surgeon gather necessary data about the patient’s anatomy to achieve a high level of precision
The VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution works exclusively with the ATTUNE® Knee System, which has been provided to more than 1 million patients worldwide and is designed to deliver a greater range of motion and faster recovery.
What Are the Benefits of Robotic-Assisted Technology?
There are numerous potential benefits to using robotic-assisted technology for knee replacement. During the procedure, the technology will gather details and data related to the patient’s knee to help find the optimal implant fit and position. Additionally, robotic-assisted technology may allow the surgeon to perform a knee replacement tailored to the patient, while providing precision and accuracy during the procedure.
Additional benefits to the patient may include:
- A greater range of motion
- Less pain compared to traditional knee replacement methods
- Faster recovery times, including reduced length of hospital stay, reduced hospital readmissions and health visits
What to Expect
As with any surgical treatment, there are potential risks and an orthopaedic surgeon can determine if knee replacement surgery is an option for the patient. Results may vary for the patient and depend on numerous factors, including age, weight and activity level.
When traditional treatments fail, Tampa General Hospital’s board-certified and fellowship-training orthopaedic surgeons can use cutting-edge technology like the VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution to achieve world-class results for patients with bothersome knee conditions.
A dedication to innovation in patient care has helped TGH rank as One of America’s Best Hospitals for Orthopaedics by U.S. News & World Report for 2023-24. TGH also earned special recognition as One of the Best Hospitals for Knee and Hip Replacement.