Several Treatment Options Are Available for Men with an Enlarged Prostate
Treatment for an enlarged prostate largely depends on the underlying cause. While an enlarged prostate is a common condition experienced by many older men, often manifesting as a condition known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), it can also be a result of a more serious condition, including prostatitis (prostate infection) or prostate cancer. A qualified doctor should perform tests to achieve an accurate diagnosis of the underlying cause of a swollen prostate before an effective treatment can be recommended.
If an enlarged prostate results from BPH, treatment options can include:
- Dietary and lifestyle changes, such as avoiding drinking excessive fluids before bed
- Medications including alpha blockers, which relax the prostate and the neck of the bladder, and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, which shrink the prostate and prevent further growth
- Dietary supplements that have been shown to reduce the size of the prostate, such as beta-sitosterol, pygeum, and rye grass
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP)
- A minimally invasive procedure known as prostate artery embolization (PAE)
Treatment for prostatitis, a bacterial infection, will typically involve a course of antibiotics to quell the infection and prevent it from returning. You may also be prescribed pain medication, as needed. There are several treatments for prostate cancer, including:
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy
Tampa General Hospital has an experienced team that provides comprehensive diagnostics and treatment for men who have an enlarged prostate. PAE could be an option for men who have a significantly enlarged prostate and are at a higher risk for more traditional TURP.
If you have been diagnosed with BPH or an enlarged prostate, contact us to begin the evaluation process to determine if prostate artery embolization could be a treatment for you. Our PAE program coordinator can be reached at (813) 539-5995, or you can fill out our online form to get started.