Studies indicate that where a stroke survivor goes for treatment can make all the difference in his or her recovery. Tampa General Rehabilitation Center delivers a comprehensive program of medical, nursing and therapy care to successfully address the individual needs of each stroke patient. Our goal-directed approach to stroke rehabilitation tailors treatment to help patients:
- restore physical function and enhance the skills needed to perform daily activities
- build strength, improve balance and regain mobility
- improve speech and swallowing
- develop new cognitive and behavioral strategies to compensate for any deficits
Tampa General Rehabilitation Center’s inpatient team draws on the expertise and experience of stroke rehabilitation specialists, including:
- Rehab physicians (physiatrists) that specialize in stroke injury
- Internal medicine physicians who manage patients' complex medical needs around the clock
- Rehabilitation nurses who deliver compassionate, evidence-based care to each patient
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists who involve patients in an intensive and comprehensive treatment program for a minimum of three hours a day, at least 5 days per week
- Psychologists and neuropsychologists who address cognitive, emotional or behavioral issues
- Dietitians who oversee that nutritional needs are met
- Recreational therapists who promote social interaction and encourage participate in adaptive activities
- Case managers who carefully coordinate the individual's stay and discharge plans
- Infection prevention specialist
- Respiratory therapist
- Our outpatient interdisciplinary teams draw on the expertise of physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, and psychologists
Our Stroke Rehabilitation Program integrates the advanced treatment, proven therapies and leading-edge technologies that benefit patient recovery. The stroke rehabilitation team also continues to explore new avenues of treatment. Among the many advances available to appropriate patients are:
- Videofluoroscopy, Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallow (FEES), and electrical stimulation (Vital Stim) to help diagnose and treat swallowing disorders
- Body-Weight Supported Treadmill Training (BWST) to improve gait performance and mobility
- Walkaide, Bioness® and SaeboFlex® devices to strengthen motor function
- Advanced pharmacologic and therapeutic interventions to manage spasticity
- Augmentative devices to improve communication and speech patterns
- Motomed FES system
As part of this dynamic Stroke Rehabilitation Program, our rehab center provides a wide range of specialized services including orthotics services, assistive technologies, and advanced wheelchair, seating and mobility options. In addition, our monthly stroke support group and ongoing educational programming gives patients and their families the opportunity to share information, discuss common concerns and learn from the experiences of others.
To help individuals successfully transition to life at home, at work and in the community, our rehab center delivers continuum of care from inpatient rehabilitation to outpatient therapy services. Patients who participate in our comprehensive outpatient stroke rehabilitation programs generally continue to reinforce the strengths and skills they have acquired during their inpatient rehab stay.
For More Information
For more information about our Stroke Rehabilitation Program, contact us or call (813) 844-7701.
Dates: Meets the 1st Wednesday of every month
Time: 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Location: Tampa General Hospital Rehab, 2nd Floor, Rehab Activity Room (R200)
Contact: (813) 844-7641