Numerous Knee Conditions Can Be Treated at Tampa General Hospital
Several different knee conditions can limit a person’s mobility to such a degree that orthopedic surgery is required. While minor age-related degeneration is common and can usually be managed through conservative measures such as medication, more severe conditions might require surgical intervention to restore the patient’s mobility and quality of life.
At Tampa General Hospital, our nationally recognized orthopedics program provides specialized treatment for a wide range of knee conditions. For instance, our orthopedic surgeons may recommend a knee replacement as a treatment for knee conditions such as:
- Osteoarthritis, in which the cartilage that covers the knee begins to wear away as a result of normal wear and tear
- Rheumatoid arthritis, in which the body’s immune system attacks the synovial membrane, causing knee pain, inflammation, and an overproduction of the synovial fluid that lubricates the joints
- Traumatic arthritis, in which a sudden injury, such as a fracture or ligament tear sustained as a result of a traumatic injury, leads to degeneration of the knee cartilage
- Avascular necrosis (AVN), in which small patches of bone in the articular surface gradually soften and separate from the other bones in the knee, even to the point of separating completely and becoming loose fragments within the joint
- Abnormal alignment of the knees, in which genetic misalignment of the femur and tibia can lead to uneven wear to the cartilage
As an orthopedic trauma center, Tampa General can also provide treatment for more complex knee conditions, such as open and geriatric fractures, musculoskeletal injuries, or severed limbs. We also provide elective/corrective treatment for individuals with conditions such as degenerative joint disease and torn tendons, as well as physical and occupational therapy services for patients recovering from any of these conditions. Due to our wide-ranging expertise in treating a number of hip, shoulder, elbow, and knee conditions, we have been named a high performing hospital by U.S.News and World Report for knee replacement.
If you have been diagnosed with any of these knee conditions, use our online PhysicianFinder or call 1-800-822-DOCS (3627) to obtain a referral to meet with one of Tampa General Hospital’s board-certified orthopedic surgeons.