Stroke Center Intervention Capabilities
Not every stroke center has the same capabilities. Although all of them can stabilize patients, only certain facilities have the most advanced technology and a team of stroke specialists that is available to provide neurological interventions 24/7. These differences are extremely important when it comes to stroke care; a longer period of time between having a stroke and receiving professional medical attention can mean greater loss of brain tissue and, consequently, a greater loss of function. For our advanced patient care capabilities, Tampa General Hospital has received national Comprehensive Stroke Certification by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program, and was the first hospital on Florida’s west coast to receive this stroke center designation.
Tampa General received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s 2017 Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award with Target: StrokeSM Honor Roll Elite Plus. The award recognizes the hospital’s commitment to providing the most appropriate stroke treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence. TGH has:
- An experienced medical team – Our stroke center team consists of neuroscientists, neurosurgeons, critical care physicians, and others with decades of collective experience in the field.
- State-of-the-art technology – Our imaging technologies are on the cutting edge, with transcranial Doppler equipment, MRI machines, and others available to help our staff visualize the affected areas of the brain.
- Intervention capabilities – Not only can we stabilize people who have had a stroke, but we can also perform emergency surgical intervention onsite as necessary. We also provide secondary procedures intended to prevent further damage.
- Medical helicopters – We have the ability to quickly transport patients from other facilities to ours so that they can receive advanced care with minimal delay.
- A dedicated neuroscience intensive care unit – We have one of the largest neuroscience ICUs in the nation, which is able to accommodate dozens of patients at a time.
- Rehabilitation programs – As a comprehensive stroke center, TGH also has physical, occupational, and speech therapists available to help with rehabilitation following a stroke.
If you think that you or a loved one is experiencing a stroke, you need to call 9-1-1 immediately. When you do, ask to be taken to the nearest comprehensive stroke center – for many in the Tampa Bay area, that will be Tampa General Hospital.