Infectious Disease Services at Tampa General Hospital
Infectious disease is a term that describes a broad set of illnesses caused by certain bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites. These illnesses range from the common cold to highly complex and life-threatening diseases.
Infectious diseases can be grouped into the following categories:
- Bacterial infections – Such as tuberculosis, meningitis, and chlamydia
- Bone infections – Referred to as osteomyelitis
- Fungal infections – Such as pneumocystis pneumonia, ringworm, and histoplasmosis
- Joint infections – Known also as bacterial joint inflammation or septic arthritis
- Tropical diseases – Several debilitating diseases that mostly affect the world’s poorest populations
- Parasitic infections – Such as malaria, Chagas disease, and toxocariasis
- Viral infections – Such as the flu, mononucleosis, and HIV/AIDS
Anyone at any age can contract an infectious disease, although young children, seniors, and individuals with weakened immune systems are most at risk. Infectious diseases may be passed from person to person, through an animal bite, or by consuming contaminated food or water. While not all of these diseases are preventable with immunizations, many are. Treatment for infectious diseases varies considerably according to the type and extent of the infection, but most treatments involve the use of antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal, or antiparasitic medications.
The latest advances in infectious disease care and prevention are used at Tampa General Hospital. Our experienced team of physicians, surgeons, and infectious disease specialists provide a full spectrum of services, from administering immunizations to diagnosis, treatment, and long-term symptom management for various types of infectious diseases. Our team can also provide continuing education and specialized training on infection control and prevention related to domestic and international travel, as well as employee and healthcare worker exposure management.
To consult with an infectious disease specialist at Tampa General Hospital or receive more information on our services, please use our PhysicianFinder.