Stroke Treatment at Tampa General Hospital
Treatments for an Ischemic Stroke
- Aspirin to prevent additional clots from forming in blood vessels that supply blood to the brain
- Intravenous medications to help dissolve existing blood clots disrupting cerebral circulation.
Treatments for a Hemorrhagic Stroke
If medications are insufficient, a physician can manually remove the blood clot that triggered the ischemic stroke. Treatment for a hemorrhagic stroke often involves medications to lower the patient’s blood pressure, reduce the pressure on his or her brain, and help prevent seizures. In cases of severe internal bleeding, surgery may be performed to remove the blood from the brain. After a patient is stabilized, the following additional treatments may be recommended:
- Surgical clipping, in which a small clamp is placed at the base of an aneurysm to prevent it from bursting
- Surgical arteriovenous malformation (AVM) removal, in which an abnormal collection of blood vessels with weakened walls is removed from the brain to reduce the risk of a rupture
- Stereotactic radiosurgery, in which a highly targeted beam of radiation is used to repair a vascular malformation
- Coiling, in which small coils are used to block blood flow to an aneurysm
- An intracranial bypass, which can help increase blood flow to a specific area of the brain or repair an aneurysm
At Tampa General Hospital, we take a comprehensive, multispecialty approach to treating a stroke while following all guidelines set forth by the American Heart Association. We have stroke specialists on duty 24 hours a day, and operate one of the largest neuroscience intensive care units in the country. We have earned Comprehensive Stroke Certification, the highest national designation, from the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program. To learn more about stroke treatment at Tampa General Hospital, contact us today. If you believe you or someone you know might be having a stroke, call 9-1-1 immediately and ask for transportation to the nearest comprehensive stroke center for stroke diagnosis and treatment.
To schedule an appointment with the Heart and Vascular Institute, call 813-844-3900 or email email@example.com