Vascular Disease Treatment at Tampa General Hospital
There are a wide variety of vascular disease treatment options available to patients who have a form of this disease. Of course, the most important factor in determining what course of therapy is best is the specific type of vascular disease. At Tampa General Hospital, we use advanced technologies to accurately diagnose a patient’s vascular condition. This allows our team of interventional radiologists, vascular surgeons, and other cardiovascular specialists to develop an individuated treatment plan to help achieve the most successful outcome.
Some of the vascular disease treatment options we offer at Tampa General Hospital include:
- Angioplasty – The insertion and inflation of a tiny balloon into an artery blocked by plaque to restore circulation
- Atherectomy – The removal of plaque and/or fibrous tissue that is blocking an artery
- Stenting – A minimally invasive procedure in which a metal tube (stent) is inserted into the artery to allow blood to flow unobstructed
- Surgical aneurysm repair – Involves bypassing, replacing, patching, or clamping of an area with an aneurysm that is at risk of rupturing
- Surgical bypass – The bypassing of an area of a clogged artery using a portion of the patient’s vein or a synthetic tube
- Thrombolysis – The insertion of a catheter that is guided through the circulatory system to deliver dissolving drugs to break up a clot
- Vena cava filter implantation – The insertion of a metallic device into a large vein (the inferior vena cava) to prevent blood clots from traveling through the circulatory system
Tampa General Hospital has received recognition for cardiac care, earning a spot on U.S. News & World Report’s list of America's Best Hospitals for Cardiology & Heart Surgery, and our ultrasound vascular laboratory is accredited in five specialty testing areas by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC), speaking to our expertise in providing vascular disease treatment. To be referred to a specialist with Tampa General Hospital, please visit our online PhysicianFinder or call 1-800-822-DOCS (3627).