Endocrine System Diseases and Disorders
Endocrine diseases and disorders result from the improper function of the endocrine system, which includes the glands that secrete hormones, the receptors that respond to the hormones, and the organs that are directly impacted by these hormones. At any one of these points, dysfunction can occur, causing wide-ranging effects on the body. Tampa General Hospital is able to diagnose and treat all types of endocrine problems, addressing their far-reaching side effects.
Named one of America's Best Hospitals for Diabetes & Endocrinology by U.S. News & World Report, TGH has the experienced physicians, caring support staff, and medical equipment necessary to treat endocrine system diseases and related issues, including but not limited to:
- Menopause – The reduction of estrogen and fluctuation of other hormones can cause a host of symptoms, including cardiovascular issues and bone problems like osteoarthritis.
- Diabetes – The body is either not producing enough insulin or isn’t responding to it properly, leading to high blood sugar levels and many long-term complications.
- Metabolic disorders – Improper levels of certain hormones can alter the body’s metabolism and affect its function (diabetes is an example).
- Lack of growth – Low levels or poor absorption of growth hormone can contribute to lack of proper cell reproduction and growth.
- Thyroid diseases – When the body is producing too much or too little thyroid hormone, it can affect a person’s overall metabolism.
- Weight gain – Gaining weight can result from hypothyroidism, Cushing’s syndrome, and other endocrine systems diseases and disorders.
- Cancers of the endocrine glands – When tumors grow within hormone-secreting glands, they can affect the production of hormones, making this type of cancer particularly complex to treat.
For more information about our treatment options for endocrine system diseases, use Tampa General Hospital’s free PhysicianFinder referral service to find an experienced endocrinologist.