Obesity Help is Available at Tampa General Hospital
For people who have been diagnosed with obesity, asking for help can be difficult. A common misconception is that obesity is a personal failure or a sign of poor willpower. In reality, it is a complex medical condition. Nutritional changes are a key component of reversing obesity. However, medical-, genetic-, psychosocial-, and activity-related factors also come into play, and most patients benefit greatly from a comprehensive approach to treatment.
Obesity help comes in many different forms. The TGH + USF Health Bariatric Center offers patients:
- nutritional counseling services to help demonstrate proper dietary choices and portion control
- metabolic testing to determine the ideal balance of calories in vs. calories out
- labwork to ensure optimal health throughout the weight loss process
- exercise physiology services to gradually increase overall fitness and transition patients into a daily, moderate-intensity exercise routine
- emotional counseling services to help individuals with obesity address contributing sources of stress, create healthy coping mechanisms, and develop healthy, lifelong relationships with food and exercise
- bariatric surgery, if indicated, to accelerate the weight loss process for patients who are ready to commit to a more intensive plan
- peer-to-peer support groups to help patients share their experiences, connect with accountability partners, and gain support throughout the weight loss process
Our patients don’t just work with a single medical provider; instead, obesity help is provided by a team of specialists including endocrinologists, bariatricians, psychologists, dietitians, exercise physiologists, and registered nurses. Each week, patients in our medically supervised weight loss programs have the opportunity to consult with their bariatric team, providing an extra level of accountability and making it simple to track results.