Crispy falafel supercharged with turmeric and protein-packed quinoa served with tangy feta yogurt spread. This flavor-packed, plant-powered main dish is kid-approved and perfect for make-ahead lunches or dinner on the fly.
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl. Use a potato masher to thoroughly mash, while maintaining somewhat of a course texture. Alternately, pulse them in the food processor for 5-10 seconds.
- Combine mashed chickpeas with quinoa, egg, garlic, parsley, 1 Tbsp. of the lemon juice, turmeric, cumin, ½ tsp. of the salt, and ¼ tsp. of the black pepper. Mix to combine. Carefully form mixture into 10 golfball-sized patties. Place on a piece of parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Working in batches, cook falafel 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a plate.
- Combine yogurt, feta, green onion, remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon, ¼ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. black pepper in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Serve falafel with yogurt dip in a pita or over mixed greens.
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.