Raw superfood brownie bites made with wholesome ingredients and no added sugar. These chocolatey vegan treats are perfect for a pre-workout boost or mid-day recharge.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 10 pitted medjool dates (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. creamy almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. goji berries (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste (or substitute vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Optional toppings: hemp seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, cocoa powder, chopped nuts
- Place cashews and almonds in a food processor. Process until ground, about 1 minute. Add dates; process until almost pastelike. Add remaining ingredients; process for 1 to 2 minutes, until well combined. Turn mixture out into a bowl; divide into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion around to form a ball. Roll in topping of choice (or enjoy plain). Chill until firm, about 20 minutes.
Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week (good luck making them last that long), or in the freezer up to 1 month (no need to thaw if frozen).
Serving size: 1 brownie bite Calories: 128 Fat: 7 gm Saturated fat: 1.5 gm Carbohydrates: 17 gm Sugar: 11 gm Sodium: 121 mg Fiber: 3 gm Protein: 4 gm
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and her blog, Dishing Out Health.