Whole wheat baked spaghetti pie with kale, turkey sausage and creamy pumpkin tomato sauce. This simple, delicious family-favorite is both waistline and budget friendly.
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces (~2 links) mild Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, mined
- 3 cups fresh kale, stems removed and roughly chopped/torn
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4-5 peeled plum tomatoes (I use canned San Marzano), roughly chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ⅔ cup 2% milk Italian-blend cheese, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. Season with a pinch of sea salt and add pasta. Cook for ~8 minutes, until al dente, drain. Place eggs in a large bowl and lightly whisk. Add drained pasta and toss to coat.
- While the pasta cooks, heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt and pepper; cook 2-3 minutes. Add sausage, cook 2-3 minutes, until browned, stirring to crumble. Add garlic and kale, cook until greens wilt, ~2-3 minutes. Add pumpkin, tomatoes & their juices, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Pour sausage/sauce mixture into spaghetti. Stir in ⅓ cup cheese. Toss to combine and pour in prepared cake pan. Sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cut into 6 triangles and serve.
Serving size: ⅙th of pie Calories: 282 Fat: 9 gm Saturated fat: 3 gm Carbohydrates: 34.5 gm Sugar: 5.5 gm Sodium: 375 mg Fiber: 6.5 gm Protein: 18 gm Cholesterol: 98 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.