Whole-wheat penne and earthy kale tossed in a creamy sun-dried tomato cashew sauce. This virtuously hearty, plant-based pasta dish is weeknight-friendly and kid-approved.
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (or grated parmesan cheese if not making plant-based)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. whole-wheat penne (or pasta of choice)
- 3 cups roughly chopped lacinato kale
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Soak cashews in 1 cup warm water for 20 minutes.
- Transfer cashews and soaking water to a blender. Add sun-dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast (or cheese), lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper; blend until smooth.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in salted water. Drain pasta, reserving about ⅔ cup pasta water. Transfer cooked pasta back to pot; add reserved pasta water and kale; toss pasta continuously for about 1 minute, until kale begins to wilt. Add ⅔ cup cashew sauce and stir continuously until sauce evenly coats noodles. Divide pasta evenly onto each of 5 plates. Garnish with additional chopped cashews and fresh herbs, if desired.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 292 Fat: 6 gm Saturated fat: .5 gm Carbohydrates: 51 gm Sugar: 3 gm Sodium: 310 mg Fiber: 7 gm Protein: 14 gm Cholesterol: 0 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and her blog, Dishing Out Health.