Whole-wheat penne and earthy kale tossed in a creamy sun-dried tomato cashew sauce. This virtuously hearty, plant-based pasta dish is weeknight-friendly and kid-approved.
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (or grated parmesan cheese if not making plant-based)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. whole-wheat penne (or pasta of choice)
- 3 cups roughly chopped lacinato kale
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Soak cashews in 1 cup warm water for 20 minutes.
- Transfer cashews and soaking water to a blender. Add sun-dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast (or cheese), lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper; blend until smooth.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in salted water. Drain pasta, reserving about ⅔ cup pasta water. Transfer cooked pasta back to pot; add reserved pasta water and kale; toss pasta continuously for about 1 minute, until kale begins to wilt. Add ⅔ cup cashew sauce and stir continuously until sauce evenly coats noodles. Divide pasta evenly onto each of 5 plates. Garnish with additional chopped cashews and fresh herbs, if desired.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 292 Fat: 6 gm Saturated fat: .5 gm Carbohydrates: 51 gm Sugar: 3 gm Sodium: 310 mg Fiber: 7 gm Protein: 14 gm Cholesterol: 0 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.