Honey-soy glazed tofu with carrot-ginger sauce is a flavor-packed, 30-minute main dish well-suited for weeknights or to impress guests. Vegan, gluten free, and guaranteed to satisfy even the most devoted omnivores.
- 1 cup carrots, cut into large chunks (from 1 large or 2 small)
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari, divided
- 1 (1½-2-inch) knob freshly peeled ginger
- 1 Tbsp. neutral vegetable or canola oil
- 1 (14-oz.) block extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed, and cut into 8 to 10 slices
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- Cook carrots in a small saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes; drain and transfer to a blender. Add rice vinegar, sesame oil, 1 Tbsp. of the soy sauce, ginger, and 2 Tbsp. water; blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable (or canola) oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add tofu; cook, undisturbed, 3 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Combine remaining 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, honey, garlic, and 1 Tbsp. water in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour mixture into pan with tofu; cook an additional 3 minutes, flipping tofu occasionally, until most of sauce has been absorbed and tofu is caramelized.
- To assemble, add a slick of carrot-ginger sauce to each of 4 plates. Top evenly with tofu slices and garnish with green onion and sesame seeds. Serve with vegetable and/or grain of choice.
Serving size: ¼th of recipe Calories: 203 Fat: 13 gm Saturated fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 12 gm Sugar: 6 gm Sodium: 450 mg Fiber: 1 gm Protein: 11 gm
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and on her blog, Dishing Out Health.