Green goddess chicken salad brimming with nutrient-rich ingredients and packed with flavor. A healthy option for weekday lunches or snacking!
- 10 slices of bread
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ avocado (or 1 small whole avocado)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 3 tbsp fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup dried berries of choice (I used a mix of golden raisins, craisins and blueberries)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add chicken breasts and boil until cooked through (~7-10 minutes depending on thickness). Set aside to cool.
- To a food processor, combine remaining ingredients (except dried berries) and process on high until creamy and well-combined.
- Once the chicken has cooled, either use two forks to shred or a knife to cut into small cubes. Transfer chopped chicken to a large bowl and pour in green goddess sauce. Mix well to combine. Stir in dried berries and add additional salt and pepper as needed.
- To assemble sandwiches, spoon chicken salad on toasted or grilled bread and add toppings of choice (red onion, arugula, lettuce, tomato, etc). Serve!
You can also make this salad vegetarian! Simply swap the chicken for a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas that are lightly mashed with a fork.
Serving size: ⅕th of chicken salad (not including bread) Calories: 239 Fat: 13 gm Saturated fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 8 gm Sugar: 5 gm Sodium: 410 mg Fiber: 2 gm Protein: 23 gm Cholesterol: 55 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.