Whole grain, high protein gingerbread donuts topped with a sweet, creamy maple cream cheese frosting. Fluffy, soft cake-like donuts with all of the comforting tastes of the holidays. You have to agree: your breakfast certainly deserves these!
- ½ cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 scoop (25 gms) vanilla protein powder (I used Sunwarrior Classic Vanilla Protein)
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2½ tsp molasses
- 1 tsp granulated sweetener of choice (I used Stevia)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
***Cinnamon Maple Frosting***
- 2 tbsp fat-free cream cheese, brought to room temperature
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp granulated sweetener of choice
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 6-slot donut pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine all donut ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Spoon batter evenly into donut tins. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, whisk ingredients in a small bowl until well-combined. Dunk donuts into frosting, evenly coating the tops. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.
To make gluten-free, use certified gluten-free oats and grind in food processor to make into oat flour.
Serving size: 3 donuts (1/2 of recipe) Calories: 293 Fat: 6.5 gm Saturated fat: 2.5 gm Carbohydrates: 33 gm Sugar: 6.5 gm Sodium: 630 mg Fiber: 7 gm Protein: 23 gm Cholesterol: 108 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.