Insanely fluffy and superiorly moist buckwheat banana pancakes topped with almond butter and berries. This gluten free, heart-healthy breakfast is nutritious, filling, and wonderfully delicious.
- 2 medium extra-ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup 2% reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. flax meal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of cinnamon and sea salt
- Place bananas, Greek yogurt, egg, and milk in a large bowl Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, flax, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine. Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix until just combined.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or a griddle over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray, coconut oil, or ghee. Spoon a scant ¼ cup batter per pancake onto pan. Cook until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes; turn and cook 1 minute on other side. Serve with almond butter, berries, and a dash of pure maple syrup.
Serving size: 2 pancakes Calories: 246 Fat: 4 gm Saturated fat: 1 gm Carbohydrates: 45 gm Sugar: 10 gm Sodium: 396 mg Fiber: 6.5 gm Protein: 11 gm Cholesterol: 73 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.