Grilled tofu, peach, and red onion skewers tossed in a sweet and spicy chili-lime sauce. This recipe boasts endless flavor and is well-worth firing up the grill (or grill pan!) for this summer.
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-oz.) package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed to remove excess moisture
- 1 cups diced peaches
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- Cooking spray
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp. light agave syrup
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp. chili garlic sauce (or chili oil)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 1 bunch grilled green onion for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, chili powder, ground ginger, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice tofu into 1-inch thick cubes. Thread 4 tofu pieces, 4 peach pieces, and 4 bunches of red onion evenly onto each of 5 (8-inch) skewers. Lightly coat with cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron grill pan over medium-high. Place skewers on pan and grill 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Combine lime juice, soy sauce, agave, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl. Brush mixture evenly over tofu skewers. Serve with fresh basil.
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.