Grilled tofu, peach, and red onion skewers tossed in a sweet and spicy chili-lime sauce. This recipe boasts endless flavor and is well-worth firing up the grill (or grill pan!) for this summer.
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-oz.) package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed to remove excess moisture
- 1 cups diced peaches
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- Cooking spray
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. lower-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp. light agave syrup
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp. chili garlic sauce (or chili oil)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 1 bunch grilled green onion for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, chili powder, ground ginger, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice tofu into 1-inch thick cubes. Thread 4 tofu pieces, 4 peach pieces, and 4 bunches of red onion evenly onto each of 5 (8-inch) skewers. Lightly coat with cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron grill pan over medium-high. Place skewers on pan and grill 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Combine lime juice, soy sauce, agave, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl. Brush mixture evenly over tofu skewers. Serve with fresh basil.
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and her blog, Dishing Out Health.