Carrot-cardamom bread is made with olive oil, whole grains, and plenty of rich spices. It's frosted with luxurious plant-based cinnamon cashew cream. This beautiful loaf is perfect for serving at spring brunches or to prepare for a week of nutritious breakfasts.
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest, plus 3 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour (or white whole-wheat flour)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened nut or coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine carrots, sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, orange zest and juice in a large bowl; whisk to combine.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to carrot mixture; whisk just until combined. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; cool completely.
- Prepare cinnamon-cashew cream by combining all ingredients in a food processor; blend until very smooth (3 to 4 minutes). Spread cream over top of bread loaf, or on individual slices after being cut. Sprinkle with additional nuts, if desired.