Irresistibly fudgy double chocolate almond butter brownies made with healthful ingredients and no added oil or flour. These guilt-free brownies are so decadently delicious and rich, you would never believe how healthy they are.
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup natural creamy almond butter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sweetener of choice (we used Truvia baking blend)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup chocolate chips + 2 tbsp for sprinkling on top (we used semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and coat with non-stick spray.
- Place black beans in food processor and process until pureed. Add eggs, process again until smooth. Add almond butter, Truvia, cocoa powder and vanilla extract and process again until well-combined. Add baking powder and baking soda; process once more until combined. Fold in ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Pour mix into prepared baking pan and sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 25-27 mins if using a 9x9 pan, or 30-32 mins if using an 8x8. Let cool for 30 minutes prior to slicing into and enjoying.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*To make dairy-free, use Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.