Hearty whole wheat toast smothered in velvety avocado, loaded with sweet and spicy pomegranate salsa, and studded with creamy goat cheese. Enjoy this flavorful, nutritious toast for breakfast, or serve with crostinis as a fun party appetizer.
- 1 cup pomegranate arils (from 1 pomegranate)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp orange zest + 2 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp finely diced jalapeño (stems and seeds removed)
- ½ tsp finely minced shallot
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 4 slices whole grain bread (or crostini's), toasted
- 1 large avocado (or two small)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- In a small bowl, combine pomegranate arils, mint, parsley, balsamic, orange zest, juice, jalapeño, shallot, and ¼ tsp sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Place avocado in a separate bowl. Thoroughly mash with a fork. Add lemon juice and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Mix to combine.
- Spread mashed avocado on toast. Top with pomegranate salsa and sprinkle with goat cheese. Serve.
Serving size: 1 toast Calories: 233 Fat: 9 gm Saturated fat: 2 gm Carbohydrates: 33 gm Sugar: 10 gm Sodium: 360 mg Fiber: 7.5 gm Protein: 8 gm Cholesterol: 3 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.