Nutrition abounds in this ultra creamy roasted parsnip and garlic soup. Made with only 5 simple ingredients and naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
- 1 lb parsnips, stemmed and cleaned
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Garnish: rosemary or thyme, pumpkin seeds, toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place parsnips on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.
- Peel most of the paper off garlic. Trim the top off the head and drizzle the exposed surface with 1-2 tsp of olive oil. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil and place on roasting pan with parsnips. Roast garlic and parsnips for 50 minutes, turning the parsnips 2x throughout. Allow to cool until able to handle.
- Using a spoon, remove any extra-charred skin off parsnips before adding them to a blender or food processor. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of the bulbs and add to processor. Discard shells.
- Pour in two cups of vegetable broth and blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 1-2 tsp of remaining olive oil to prevent sticking. Pour blended soup into pot and add remaining two cups of vegetable broth. Stir to combine and heat soup to desired temperature.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and top with fresh herbs, pumpkin seeds and a swirl of toasted sesame oil (optional). Enjoy!
Serving size: 1¼ cup Calories: 139 Fat: 5.5 gm Saturated fat: .5 gm Carbohydrates: 21 gm Sugar: 6.5 gm Sodium: 320 mg Fiber: 5 gm Protein: 2 gm
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.