5 ingredient butternut squash with brown butter hazelnuts, garlic, and thyme. Whether you serve it for a weeknight dinner or the holidays, this cozy side has incredible flavors packed into one simple dish.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange squash on a baking sheet and toss with oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes to prevent burning.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook until butter becomes dark amber and gives off a nutty aroma, stirring often, about 3 minutes, and be careful not to let it burn. Add garlic, thyme, and hazelnuts; cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously; pull mixture off heat.
- Arrange squash on a serving platter or in a bowl. Spoon brown butter hazelnut mixture evenly over the top.