Smoky mushrooms and cumin-scented lentils join forces in these plant-powered tacos for the ultimate weeknight meal. Vegan, gluten free, and ready in only 30 minutes.
- ½ cup dried green, brown, or French lentils
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1½ Tbsp. lower sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas, heated according to package instructions
**Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Spread**
- ½ cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (substitute coconut yogurt if making vegan)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Shaved radishes
- Red cabbage slaw
- Place lentils and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add water as needed to make sure the lentils are just barely covered. Once cooked, strain excess liquid, stir in cumin, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add tamari, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and black pepper; toss to coat. Add lentils; toss to combine.
- Place yogurt, cilantro, lime, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Spoon 3 Tbsp taco filling into each tortilla. Top with 1 Tbsp. yogurt spread and toppings of choice.
Serving size: 2 tacos Calories: 288 Fat: 5 gm Saturated fat: 1 gm Carbohydrates: 43 gm Sugar: 5 gm Sodium: 379 mg Fiber: 9.5 gm Protein: 17 gm Cholesterol: 2 mg
Jamie Vespa, MS, RD, LD/N, is a former TGH dietitian who is now assistant nutrition editor at Cooking Light magazine. You can find more of her recipes on TGH Health News and more recipes on her blog, Dishing Out Health.