Lung Transplant Team
The most important member of your team is YOU! You will be working with a number of people who will be committed to you and your needs.
- Coordinator – will be the main contact for you, your family, your care team and your insurance payers.
- Pulmonologist – will work with other team members to create a treatment plan that fits your needs.
- Surgeon – will explain the surgery and possible risks.
- Social Worker – will meet with you and your family to check your support system, your ability to cope with the transplant process, and other issues such as finances and insurance.
- Financial Counselor- will obtain insurance permission for your evaluation and for the transplant process and make sure you have adequate financial resources for your post-transplant care.
- Dietitian – will assess your nutrition status, and provide education about special diets for heart failure and post transplant patients.
- Pharmacist – will evaluate your medications and instruct you on their use and side effects.
- Infectious Disease – may assess you for exposure to viral infections and your risk of infections post-transplant.
- Respiratory Therapist- will assess your lung function before and after transplant.
- Psychologist- will assess your emotional stability and coping skills.
As you go through the process, be sure to let your coordinator know if you have questions or concerns that haven’t been answered.