Kidney Transplant Candidates in Buffalo, NY, Can Be Double Listed to Increase Their Chances of Finding a Compatible Organ
Kidney transplant candidates often wait years before they have an opportunity to receive a compatible donor organ. For those in Buffalo, New York, the average time spent on a waiting list prior to undergoing the procedure is typically several years, if not longer. Of course, individual experiences will vary depending on factors, such as the severity of a patient’s condition, blood type, and the number of organs available at a given time. With such a long average wait time ahead of them, some candidates opt to join the wait list at other centers across the country in addition to their local transplant center – a process known as dual listing.
By joining wait lists in different areas, kidney transplant patients have the opportunity to expand the field of potentially compatible organs, and, in turn, potentially shorten the time spent on the waiting list. Centers in the Northeast, with its condensed population and large number of major metropolitan areas, typically have longer waiting times than centers in many other parts of the country. Specific states and centers often have even shorter waits. For instance, historically, Tampa General Hospital in central Florida has some of the lowest median wait times in the nation, with specific information about our wait times located here.
For this reason, kidney transplant candidates in Buffalo, NY, and the surrounding area can choose to double list at TGH to potentially reduce their wait list time. In order to be accepted into our program, a patient must:
- Have a physician-completed referral form submitted to begin the evaluation process
- Visit TGH for in-person meetings and physical examinations
- Meet all necessary medical, financial, and psychosocial criteria for transplant (our program’s requirements may vary from other kidney transplant centers)
- Be prepared to make travel preparations to come to Tampa on very short notice if a compatible organ is found
- Be financially capable of making arrangements to stay near TGH for several weeks after surgery for follow-up testing (TGH’s two Transplant Houses may be an option for some patients)
For further information about double listing at TGH, kidney transplant candidates in Buffalo, NY, can call our transplant coordinator toll-free at 1-800-505-7769 (press 5 for the kidney transplant program and ask for the referral coordinator), or contact the coordinator directly at (813) 844-8686.