At Tampa General Hospital, our orthopedic surgeons have extensive experience performing advanced hip and knee replacement procedures that can alleviate pain and improve a patient’s mobility and quality of life. Hip and knee replacement surgeries are part of more than 4,000 inpatient orthopedic surgeries we perform annually, which is more than any other center in West Central Florida. In addition to nationally recognized care provided by our physicians and surgeons, patients have access to a multidisciplinary team of specialists, including advanced practice nurses, registered nurses, physical and occupational therapists, and social workers – all in a single location, providing a simplified and convenient experience.
Hip Replacement at Tampa General
Tampa General Hospital’s Orthopedics Institute accepts patients with a number of hip conditions, from joint degeneration to complex traumatic diagnoses and even bone cancer At Tampa General Hospital, we offer:
- Minimally invasive hip replacement – Our minimally invasive procedures use muscle-sparing techniques to replace the hip joint through one or two small incisions, which disturbs less tissue and allows for a streamlined recovery process.
- Total hip replacement – The MAKOplasty® Total Hip Arthroplasty replacement procedure involves a computed tomography (CT) scan before surgery, allowing surgeons to design a specific and detailed plan for bone preparation and implant placement. The MAKO® surgical approach allows for a more precise placement and alignment of the implant.
Knee Replacement at Tampa General
At Tampa General Hospital, our orthopedic surgeons have extensive experience performing advanced total and partial knee replacement procedures that can alleviate pain and improve a patient’s mobility and quality of life. We offer robot-assisted knee replacement procedures that use:
- MAKO® Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery – This technology provides 3-D modeling of the patient’s joint and improves the surgeon’s ability to select, orient, and align the appropriate implant.
- RIO™ Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System – This technology provides real-time adjustments during the surgery for better knee mechanics and soft tissue balance.
Tampa General offers the area’s most sophisticated and innovative minimally invasive care for knee conditions that are the result of deterioration, deformities, and traumatic injuries. What makes our program so exceptional? It’s our:
- Expertise - Our fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons have undergone an additional year of specialty orthopedics training and are highly experienced in using these advanced robotic technologies to perform minimally invasive knee replacements. These procedures require smaller incisions and less disruption to surrounding tissue, which helps our patients enjoy a shorter and less painful recovery compared to a traditional knee replacement. For individuals who have previously received a knee replacement and are still experiencing pain, TGH also offers knee revision surgery that can help address these symptoms.
- Advanced surgical technology – Specialized instruments and techniques allow surgeons to remove damaged knee cartilage, bone, and soft tissue with smaller incisions than traditional knee replacement. Once damaged knee surfaces are removed, an artificial joint known as a prosthesis is fitted to the thigh bone, kneecap, and shin, stabilizing the knee and increasing patient mobility.
- Shorter recovery times – Because minimally invasive surgery disturbs less muscle and tissue, recovery time is often shorter and less painful than traditional knee replacement. However, the extent of surgery and the associated recovery time varies with each patient, and not all are candidates for a minimally invasive procedure.
Joint Replacement Revision Surgery
Individuals who have undergone hip or knee replacement surgery may require revision surgery at some point in their lives to correct painful problems and return to enjoying everyday activities. Patients in need of hip or knee revision procedures have access to our multidisciplinary team of specialists, including physicians, surgeons, advanced practice nurses, registered nurses, physical and occupational therapists, and social workers – all in a single location, providing a simplified and convenient experience.
Tampa General Recognized for World-Class Orthopedic Care
Tampa General has earned program-specific certification for hip and knee replacement procedures from The Joint Commission. We have also been named one of the top 25 centers in the nation for Orthopedics as well as the highest ranked hospital in Florida for Orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report for 2021-22. U.S. News & World Report also specifically designated TGH as a “High-Performing” hospital for Hip and Knee Replacement for 2021-22.